Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I Have Mixed Feelings About Camp

I got off the phone the other day with a wonderful, kind older woman who shall remain anonymous, but I wanted to share with you what she shared with me.

A little background: 
I was entering some donations and preparing to send out receipts and acknowledgements when I came across a woman that had donated $240, which is what a Companion of Covenant Heights gives annually (or $20 a month).

I was thrilled to have another person join in wanting to make sure camp is available and affordable for any and every kid that wants to come. There are many generous people that give as a Companion of Covenant Heights and it is a very important part of bringing kids closer to and deeper in Christ.

So, I wanted to thank her.

I picked up the phone. I simply thanked her and she said, "Just that
one check, okay."
I assured her, "yes, that's the only reason I called today. Just to say thank you for that check, and for how you are helping to provide camp for kids."

She then opened up a bit.
"Well, I have mixed feelings about camp."
"Oh, really? Can you tell me why"
She explained, "I went to camp as a kid, but I felt bad because my kids never got to go. You see, we could not afford to send them when they were young."
"Really?" I asked, a bit surprised. "I wish someone had offered to scholarship your kids, because we give away thousands of dollars in scholarships and work very hard to make sure every kid can come to camp, never allowing money to be the only obstacle."
"Well, they didn't have that back then. So, I have mixed feelings about camp."
I apologized sincerely, which doesn't right a wrong from that long ago.
And, I thanked her. Thanked her profusely, because she is the reason, even with her mixed feelings, that kids can come to camp today. Every kid. Regardless of where a family is financially, generous people like this lovely lady make it possible to never turn a child away from the powerful experience of camp.

So thank you. All of you for your part in making camp a place that, with God's blessing, might never turn a child away so that the great love and grace of God can be poured into their lives.

Jesus said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.



No comments:

Post a Comment