Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Blessings at the Divide

I had my first overnight backpacking trip this fall. And it was fantastic.



Many of the ladies living at camp set out to hike up and over the Rocky Mountains, and the Continental Divide. We planned a two night, 16-plus mile hike from Grand Lake area to Bear Lake on the eastern side of the Rockies. Through moments of awe, joy, struggle, and frustration, as well as many laughs and much gorgeous scenery, we had a great time of fellowship with each other while accomplishing our challenge.



There were points in the trip where I had to tell my legs they would be fine and to just keep going up that incline (because what else was I going to do- stay in the mountains forever?) and moments where the encouragement or beauty-observation of one my companions was so aptly timed to remind me of what a wonderful experience and opportunity this was.


Because it was. It was a chance to see amazing landscape and sights, enjoy the companionship of some incredible ladies, push myself physically and mentally, laugh, summit Hallett Peak, wake up to the sound of a babbling brook, encourage my friends, see God in others and in creation, do yoga by a waterfall, have good conversations, and so much more. Strange as it may be to say I felt pampered on such a hike, looking back I can see SO MANY ways God showered gifts on us. It's such a good exercise, to take inventory of all the blessings we can find in even one weekend. How have you been been blessed recently?






1 comment:

  1. I love how the Lord uses experiences like backpacking to draw us closer, make us dependent upon Him, and give us such an appreciation for nature. Wonderful insights Jessica!

    ReplyDelete