Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Stories of Prayer

"Share something you learned about God this week."

This was one of the questions we asked campers at the end of each week this summer. Here are some responses.

"Pray more."(Elena)
"To be patient and quiet while listening to God, because He always answers." (Dinah)
"I learned that God is always with us, and if you take the time to listen, you can hear Him speaking to you." (Emma)
"That when you ask God to be in your heart, He comes." (Charlie)

Prayer is quite simple an amazing thing and an great honor and privilege. There may be little else so great than the ability and freedom to approach God and lay our requests, joys, sorrow, frustrations, and thanksgivings before Him.

Campers pick up on this. They come to the mountains and in the stillness of life away from technology and fast-paced society, they meet God, and then they tell us these things, like if you take the time to listen, you can hear Him speaking to you!

I had been thinking about prayer recently, especially after hearing so many great comments from our campers, when I came across a great article on prayer called, "Seeds of Prayer" written by a staff member at Center for Student Missions in Denver. I worked for CSM back in 2007 and also participated in two mission trips through CSM as a college student. So, I have a love for this great urban ministry. I asked if I could share their article, because it was from our home state and because it is just a great story.
"I would like to tell you a story about a friend I made here in Denver. For the sake of the story, I am going to call him Ralph.
I first met Ralph at a motel on the infamous Colfax Avenue. Many people who are homeless in Denver end up staying in grungy motels on Colfax, as it is better than the street, yet only require payment for one night at a time. Ralph was homeless, and he had come to the motel for a few nights rest. He wasn’t your stereotypical homeless man at all..." Read Full Article on CSM Blog >>

Want to Read a Great Book on Prayer? >>

~Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment